At the Health Care Engineering Systems Center, we apply our expertise in the broad areas of Surgical Simulation, Health Care Monitoring, Robotics and Devices, Materials and Mechanics, and Human Factors/Industrial Ergonomics Design to develop collaborative projects that could be used to improve health care education and delivery. Our research, through the Jump ARCHES partnership, is expected to generate the leverage required to fund translational research, deliver new technologies, and bring them to practical use in order to improve healthcare outcomes.
Our focus is on applying technologies which have been introduced to practice and tested for clinical or simulation use. Our studies demonstrate improved clinical outcomes, cost reductions, and improved care quality through simulation.
HEALTH DATA ANALYTICS
Simulation is widely recognized as an important tool in improving education, training, and planning in medicine. Emergence of low cost virtual reality and augmented reality systems is leading to innovative solutions which promise to improve healthcare in every sphere. HCESC is creating novel tools and advanced methodologies to help healthcare professionals, students, public health workers, and other allied health services to learn skills and practices in an immersive environment.
- Training Simulator for Extra Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation in Adults
- Medical Training in VR
- AR as a Medical Diagnosis and Surgery Planning Tool
- Mixed Reality for Active Learning
- Virtual Physiology Engine-based Simulation Modules
- Virtual Reality Modules for Educating Public Health Professionals
With the advent of wearable sensors, voice assisted devices, seamless network data collection, and cloud processing capabilities, healthcare is becoming smarter than ever before. Our focus at HCESC is on pioneering solutions specifically focused on the aging population, health monitoring, and personalized patient care.
- Voice Activated Home Monitoring for Post-operative Patient Care
- Haptic Enabled Home Therapy System for Post Stroke Rehabilitation
- Smart and Connected Community Initiative
HEALTH DATA ANALYTICS
The Health Data Analytics Initiative is foremost a central hub to connect medical and clinical investigators with AI- and Data Scientists of the College of Engineering and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. We are committed to enable and drive fundamental medical research and to improve health care delivery by designing tailored AI and data retrieval solutions for our partners.
Advances in robotics and image guided surgery are promising to improve surgical outcomes by providing the surgeon with precision tools to perform complicated surgery. We are developing novel simulators, devices, and algorithms to further this field.
- Robotic Surgery through Simulation and Haptics
- Endovascular Robotic System
- Intelligent Breast Biopsy Robotic System
- Robot Learning from Demonstration of Expert Surgeons