We’re excited to relax this holiday season and reflect on all the growth and change that has come to HCESC in 2020, much of it fueled by COVID-19. New ways of collaboration were implemented, boundaries were broken, and our researchers proposed ideas with zeal and urgency unlike any other year. We’re proud of all their accomplishments and bring you the Top Ten achievements of HCESC in 2020, in no particular order! We wish you a safe, enjoyable, and relaxing holiday season. We look forward to 2021!
HCESC’s Top Ten of 2020
1. UVBot – We developed the UVBot, a robot that uses UV light to disinfect spaces and can be programmed and controlled over Wi-Fi. This robot was developed out of accessible, low-cost parts so that any organization can build one for under $1,000! Read more here.
2. ECMO Simulator DoD Collaboration – ECMO is a procedure that’s difficult to perform yet vital to the lives of many patients. We created a simulator, funded by a Jump ARCHES research grant, using a manikin and programmable pump now being used by the U.S. Air Force En route Care Research Center within the Department of Defense. Read more here.
3. Jump ARCHES COVID-19 Priority Call – In March, we sent out a call for proposals addressing COVID-19 and other public health crises. We were overwhelmed by the response from researchers spanning many disciplines. In June 2020, 18 projects were announced and awarded funding. Read more here.
4. Health Data Analytics Summit becomes COVID-19 Virtual Summit – This summit was one of the first events in our campus community to both transition to a virtual event and focus on COVID-19. We featured faculty and scientists from UIUC, OSF HealthCare System, UICOMP, UChicago, UIC, and Northwestern University, who discussed research they were doing on the emerging pandemic. View a recording here.
5. MSHT Welcomes its First Cohort – The Master of Science in Health Technology program, which we developed in conjunction with the College of Applied Health Sciences, welcomed a cohort of six students this fall! This one-year program for recent graduates and young professionals teaches skills in human factors and engineering concepts as applied to health technologies. Read more about the program here.
6. 7th Health Care Engineering Systems Symposium – We held our annual symposium virtually this past October with OSF HealthCare. Researchers from our large pool of Jump ARCHES grant recipients discussed the current state of their projects, both COVID-19 and non-COVID related. View a recording of the Symposium here.
7. Jump ARCHES Summer Internship Goes Virtual – Our popular summer internship program took on a virtual format this year, allowing interns to work from Champaign, to Abu Dhabi, to Seoul. We had ten undergraduates and one graduate student, who all successfully navigated remote research and made great strides on their projects! We look forward to seeing what they do next! Read more here.
8. HCESC Staff Help Develop Illinois RapidVent – The Illinois RapidVent, and emergency ventilator that was developed in under two weeks by an interdisciplinary team of UIUC researchers, made national news when it was announced last March. HCESC director T. Kesh Kesavadas, simulation engineers Anusha Muralidharan and Harris Nisar, and Jump Simulation Center manager Shandra Jamison all contributed to its development and success. Read more here.
9. COVID-19 Monthly Seminar Series – In September we introduced a 4-part series to showcase our Jump ARCHES COVID-19 Priority Call grant recipients and their projects. Researchers from 17 projects presented their work in four categories: testing technology, artificial intelligence, PPE, and data analytics. View the projects here.
10. Health Data Analytics Initiative Gains Steam – Our Health Data Analytics Initiative, which we have lead since 2017, received a grant from C3.ai Digital Transformation Institute earlier this year for their work in secure federated learning! Our Jump ARCHES data analytics projects have led to new grants from the National Science Foundation and Discovery Partners Institute!
Thanks for reading our Top Ten of 2020! We’re so proud of all that we’ve accomplished this year and can’t wait to update you again soon about all that’s happening at HCESC. Make sure to subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn so you don’t miss a thing!